Friday, August 14, 2009

BCS Projections

So, after halfway through writing the Penn State article, I figured I ought to have a few projections for the BCS. Some of these may surprise a few people, but others may think the same way I do.

BCS National Title Game
Florida vs. Texas

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl
Oklahoma vs. Boise State

Rose Bowl Game
USC vs. Penn State

Allstate Sugar Bowl
Ole Miss vs. Brigham Young

Fedex Orange Bowl
Florida State vs. Pittsburgh (it KILLS me to say that)

I think you'll find the Florida State pick a bit of a surprise. But with Darren Evans out for the year, Virginia Tech needs to prove that they aren't one-dimensional before I put them anywhere but the Gator bowl. I like Va. Tech, don't get me wrong, but Tyrod can't do everything. Freshman Ryan Williams, who's been hyped as much as any other freshman, will have to step up. Quickly.

Of course the Hokies do return much of a defense that was 7th in the nation last year. My guess is that the Hokies will have to rely on that D to get them through the first week of the season, when the Hokies meet Alabama in the Georgia Dome. The offense should be able to take it from there

The Hokies will know where they stand after they play Alabama to open the season. If they beat 'Bama, I may change my mind.

Texas and Oklahoma face off in the Red River shootout in Week 6. Should be a great game since both Hesiman finalist QBs are back this year. I have to give Texas the nod because Colt McCoy doesn't forget how he got messed out of a shot at Florida last year. He won't say it, but he wants a go at the Gators.

Hard to argue against Boise State and BYU going undefeated this year, and unfortunately stealing 2 BCS bids. Ole Miss picks up the SEC's bid since UF will more than likely be playing for the title. Jevan Snead has all the skills to carry the Rebs into the Superdome for a January game.

I'll end with Pittsburgh. I don't like them one bit, not at all. I'd rather have a sister in a whore house than a friend at Pitt. But, they look like the team to beat in the Big East this year. Of course, the Big East is probably the most unpredictable conference in football this year. 5 teams got first place votes (USF, WVU, Pitt, Rutgers, and Cincy). This conference race could get interesting come mid to late November.

Keep your shoulder low and your legs driving.

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment